Sunday, September 22, 2013

10,000 steps

I've been tracking my steps for about five months now, 21 weeks to be specific, and in that time I've consistently averaged almost exactly 10,000 steps a day.

My total for the 21 weeks is 1,479,134, which works out to to an average of 10,062 steps a day.

Now, the beauty of averages is that I've certainly had some less than stellar weeks in there (week 12 and your puny 47k steps, that means you), but there have been some over the top weeks in there to help balance things out (thanks week 19 for the 93k steps!).

I've tried to do this before, I get all competitive and motivated when a walking challenge starts up at work, but then as soon as it ends I gladly put the pedometer away and forget about it until the next email comes from HR.

But not this time.

This time I'm doing crazy things, like yesterday, when I kept my car parked all day and did all my errands on foot. 19,625 steps worth of errands. Or today, when I made plans with a friend to go for a walk this morning rather than go out to breakfast or meet for coffee and we ended up doing 4 miles.

I'm not sure what's different, and why I've been sticking with it, but I'm really glad I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment