Sunday, June 10, 2012

Happiness is...

The absolute best part of summer in Maryland.


If you ask someone outside of Maryland what the state's biggest summer delicacy is they'd most likely say crabs. Ok, if you ask someone in Maryland they'd probably say the same thing, but I think my favorite summertime treat would be a very close second among Marylanders - the snowball.

Now before I continue, let me tell you what a snowball isn't:

It's not a snocone. A snocone comes in only a handful of flavors and has really hard, crunchy ice. You just bite into it a giant block of ice and the yummy flavoring runs out, collecting in the bottom of your silly paper cone.

It's not a slushy or a slurpee or any other concoction that comes out of a machine at a convenience store.

It's closest comparison is shaved ice, though I am often disappointed when I try 'shaved ice' as it pales in comparison to my glorious snowballs.

So that covers what it isn't... here's what it is:

Super fine, powdery ice and your choice of probably upwards of 50 different flavors. Served in a big cup and most frequently topped with yummy marshmallow sauce. In Maryland you'll find them sold mostly from roadside stands. Not quite a lemonade stand - think a wooden shed set up in a random parking lot serving the absolute best, most perfect summer treat.

I may not live far from the Baltimore area, but it's far enough away that snowballs are hard to come by. My parents know that May through September my first stop when coming to visit is a snowball and that was the case yesterday. They put their orders in as well - spearmint for dad, chocolate for mom and I and mine with marshmallow. Yum, yum, yum!

I've been on the road a lot lately and have more travel coming up but after that first taste of summer I have a feeling I'll be making a return trip to the Baltimore area as soon as I can for another snowball!

No comments:

Post a Comment