Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Burnt Toast

Last night while I was cooking dinner I was reminded of a book that came out a few years back. I didn't read it, but had a vague recollection that it was called Burnt Toast, and, in addition to other messages, talked about how mom's always take the burnt piece of toast, leaving the better pieces for their kids.

We'll, I'm here to say that single people eat a lot of burnt toast too.

And, by burnt toast I actually mean overcooked pasta dishes that turn out horrible, but, well, no one else has to suffer through eating it and what else would I do with it? It would be wasteful to throw it away, and am I really going to start over now and that was the last of the pasta anyway so I guess that will just be dinner.

When I'm cooking for others I follow a recipe generally, or go with a time-tested proven do it myself variety. But typical dinners around here involve little pre-planning and lots of throwing together whatever random ingredients I find between the fridge and the pantry. I'd say I have a 70/30 ratio of success so I go with it.

Tonight was part of the the 30. Ugh.

And I was so looking forward to recreating a thrown together pasta dish that turned out YUMMY a few weeks back. Sauteed onions and garlic, tossed with pasta and some herbed goat cheese. Except tonight I was almost out of the veggie pasta I've been eating lately and ended up throwing in some alphabet pasta as well. Both boxes said the cooking time was 7 minutes, and actually, the alphabet box said 7-9 minutes so if anything it should have been underdone.

It wasn't. It was a mushy, icky, overcooked mess. But, I mixed it with my yummy goat cheese and the tasty onions and garlic and hoped for the best.

*wrinkles nose*

I got the worst. 

It's a good thing I have dinner out to look forward to tonight. A damn good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment