Saturday, June 29, 2013

Farm Fresh Marshmallows

I've been walking to my neighborhood farmer's market most Saturdays over the past few months. I realized today, after going fairly regularly since early May, the one consistent purchase I make is... Marshmallows.

What, aren't they your farmer's market staple as well?

These are homemade and come in all sorts of yummy flavors like pineapple coconut, chocolate chip cookie dough, salted caramel, and cinnamon toast. 

Each time I go I end up wandering aimlessly for an inordinate amount of time for the tiny size of the market. We're talking about 15 vendors at most, half with fruits and veggies and the rest with things like empanadas, peanuts, pickles, baked goods and those yummy marshmallows. I check out all of the veggies and try to figure out what exactly I'd do with them. 

I'll pretty much eat most* any veggie served to me, but when I look at a big bunch of kale or a head of cabbage I'm just like... huh. I can't imagine cooking and eating it on my own. That's why doing the CSA a few summers ago was (sorta) a good idea for me. It took the choice out of it and made me figure out what to do with the assorted veggies that magically appeared each Wednesday. 

Left to my own devices I walk round and round in the tiny lot before settling on two onions, a bunch of broccoli and... two bags of marshmallows. 


*mushrooms, eggplant, sweet potatoes and peppers excluded

No comments:

Post a Comment