Tuesday, June 11, 2013

No Evening Gowns, But Still A Good Time

I went to a water skiing show on Sunday night.

Yup, that's a thing in Wisconsin, and I'm guessing Minnesota too as they are the land of 10,000 lakes.

I'm here for work and my friend Sarah told me months ago that if I was coming to Wisconsin in the summer I had to go to a water skiing show.

In full disclosure, I could not for the life of me remember who gave me that sage advice, then Sarah happened to call while I was at said show. Our conversation went like this:

Me: Hello (as Call Me Maybe or some other teen pop song blares from the speaker 5 feet in front of me)
Her: Where are you?!?
Me: At a water skiing show
Her: Yeah you are! (excitedly)
Me: Wait, are you the one that told me I should do this?
Her: Of course!

See, she spent a summer in Minnesota during college and apparently water skiing shows were the big entertainment.

As my only other experience with water skiing shows was from the old school Freaky Friday movie, which I LOVE, I figured this was worth looking into. After some googling I discovered that every Sunday night there's a free water skiing show in the park just a few blocks from the hotel I was booked in. Well, that made those flight decisions easy - I had to get here in time for the show!

I saw a bit of the junior's show and the full show for the Mad City Ski Team. They are only a few weeks into their season, and it was less than optimal conditions with rain, wind and super choppy water, but I was still highly entertained and very impressed by what I saw, which is apparently only a small portion of the amazingness that happens when they compete.

First up, a quick video clip I shot:


And now footage from their State Championship Competition from 2012:


Seriously, take Sarah's advice. If you are ever in Wisconsin in the summer a water skiing show should be at the top of your to-do list!


No comments:

Post a Comment