Sunday, May 19, 2013

The Day My Car Stayed Parked

I got a lot done yesterday. Met up with a friend at a book store, did some shopping, got a manicure and got yummy take out for dinner. And my car didn't move once.

Yup, I decided to take advantage of my very walkable neighborhood and do everything I needed to do on foot.

It's not uncommon for me to do some errands that way on a regular basis, and it is especially more common during walking challenges, but I've never consciously done as much as I did yesterday. A mile in one direction in the morning, for coffee, reading and catching up with a friend, then a mile back home. Then later in the day a mile in the other direction to try out a new salon for a manicure. Then cutting back through the neighborhood to try a new italian restaurant for dinner. I almost fit a trip to get a few things at the grocery store in too, but the weather was getting dodgy at that point and even though I was wearing a rain coat I really have had my fill of walks in the rain lately.

In the end I got 15,411 steps yesterday (5.35 miles at my stride). My highest for the week and my highest for the current challenge. I thought about continuing the walking only option for today, but my walkable grocery store doesn't have the best selection and it didn't really match up with what was on my shopping list, so I drove to the store, but then did walk to the library to return a book later in the day. My grand total of steps for the week is going to come in right around 80,000, a full 10,000 steps more than the past few weeks.

As much as I complain about the walking challenge it really does get me motivated to get moving. There's only 3 more weeks to go, and I'm not sure how I'm going to keep up with this activity once it ends, but I know I have to figure out a way to do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment