Friday, May 3, 2013

The downside to volunteering

I spent two hours this afternoon volunteering for a local organization and now I'm sore.

Seriously achey, my shoulders, my arms, my legs. I walked about 8 blocks home and was going at a snail's pace. I feel like I could go to sleep right now.

You're thinking I was volunteering for Habitat for Humanity, aren't you? Or somewhere that involved painting or gardening or construction, aren't you?

Nope. I was volunteering at the library.

Ok, so before you think I'm a complete and total wimp, it was the Friends of the Library book sale and my job was "book wrangler." Basically it means I spent two hours restocking the table as books were purchased, pulling them from the boxes and boxes stored below hand. Then there was rearranging when people put things back in the wrong place and sorting and condensing the storage boxes so they were in the correct section.

It honestly didn't feel  like much in terms of manual labor while I was doing it, but about 90 minutes in I started to feel it. Then, when I left I stopped in to pick up take out, sitting down for 10 minutes to wait for my order, wow. Owie, owie, ow.

In addition to volunteering I joined the Friends of the Library so I'm sure this won't be my first time working a book sale, but hopefully next time I can just be in charge of the money box.


No comments:

Post a Comment