Wednesday, May 1, 2013

My Favorite 'DC' Gift


Living inside the beltway means you don't have to look long and hard to find DC memorabilia. Lots and lots of cheesy memorabilia, usually with bad puns like an apron with "Commander in Chef" printed on it or tshirst with "I'm in the Witness Protection Program" printed or, better yet the oh so classic assortment of t-shirts with an alphabet soup of acronyms - FBI, CIA, ICE, etc.

But, in the midst of all of the over the top, cheesy DC stuff, sometimes you come across something really creative and cool. And then it becomes your go to item for going away gifts.

My great find are these cool flasks, decorated with DC landmarks. The artist is Liz Hutcheson of Fast Snail and she makes lots of things in addition to the flasks, and flasks in other fun designs, beyond just my favorite DC-centric ones.

I first came across them at a local shop back in December and wanted to buy one but couldn't come up with anyone on my holiday gift list that it would be a good fit for. Well, other than my boss, but somehow it seemed inappropriate to give her a flask.

Finally it dawned on me that my friends who had recently moved to Boston would LOVE a DC flask and it would look really nice on their bar. My latest brainstorm was this week, as I was getting a goodbye card for my friend who is moving back to Philly. You know, the one I watched sunrise at the Lincoln Memorial with while she drank champagne. It was definitely one of those 'a-ha!' moments that a flask with the Lincoln Memorial on it would be a PERFECT DC memento.

I also decided that this find was too good not to share, so there you have it. You can order Fast Snail products from Liz's website, at a bunch of stores in the DMV, or at a show.

Happy Shopping!




This post is in no way sponsored, I'm just feeling compelled to share something unique and nifty with you today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment