Sunday, January 6, 2013

Luck Runs Out


Mid way through this football season I bought this shirt. I think I ordered it during the Skins bye week, when the team was 3-6.

I wore it for the first time on 11/18, and the Skins won against the Eagles. Then they won again the following week, on Thanksgiving, in Dallas (!!!). It wasn't until the week after that, a Monday night football win against the Giants when I realized, my new shirt had 3 wins!

The following week, as the Skins prepared to play the Ravens I was visiting friends and jokingly mentioned the lucky shirt. Then the Skins won. That was the first time they had won four in a row in ages.

By the fifth win I posted this as my Facebook status:

Five weeks ago I got a new Redskins shirt. I think I'm gonna hang on to this one! #httr

Week six with the new shirt the game coincided with a family Hanukkah party. Normally I'd dress a bit nicer for a big family gathering. But, jeans and the lucky shirt won and so did the Skins!

I was beginning to feel like that beer commercial - where the guys hold the bottles a certain way to help with the field goal kick or where the 49ers fan returns to his old apartment to watch from the same spot where he watched the whole season when they won the Super Bowl.

The final game of the regular season was huge. Primetime, home game against the rival Cowboys where the winner won the division and a trip to the playoffs and the loser's season ended.

I wore my shirt. The Redskins won.

Today, my freshly laundered shirt and I were ready for the game. They started off really strong, but in the end they lost.

After coming off a 5-11 season in 2011 to a 10-6 season and the Division championship for the first time in over a decade I really have no complaints about the 2012 Washington Redskins.

And come September 8, I'll have my lucky shirt ready to go, as this ones powers have been proven in the regular season.

I just need to invest in a new, lucky playoff shirt in time for next January!

No comments:

Post a Comment