Thursday, January 3, 2013

Nonfiction Faves

Of the 114 books I read last year, 22 were nonfiction. Maybe I'll work on upping that percentage in 2013...

The best of the best were three memoirs - Carly's Voice, Next Stop and The Glass Castle.

The Glass Castle is Jeannette Walls' memoir that primarily captures her unique, and quite nomadic, childhood. From Northern California to the Southwest to Appalachia, her family moved frequently and was lead by a very eccentric father. 

Carly's Voice and Next Stop are both written by parents of children with autism, though with dramatically different stories from both ends of the autism spectrum. Both are powerful stories and represent the struggles families face with autism but some incredible triumphs as well.

Other nonfiction faves include:

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed is the author's story of her solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, from southern California to Washington State. A lot of times what draws me in about a memoir is the extreme honesty of the author, portraying the roughest edges of their life. That was definitely what Strayed did here.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)


Completely different and laugh inducing, I thought Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Having Fun Without Me? was a fun read. Especially now that she has her own sitcom, it makes me appreciate her humor and style even more. I actually listened to this one as an audio book, which I think contributed to my enjoyment of it because Mindy was the one who read it.




Switching from memoirs to politics, I really enjoyed The President's Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity and Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime, which featured very little of Palin, despite the focus on her in the movie of the same name.

Now that you know what kind of nonfiction I like, anything you want to suggest I add to my reading list for 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment