Sunday, November 24, 2013

Right Down the Middle

There's a quiz going around on Facebook this weekend, to see if you are right brained or left brained.

I took it last night from my phone and decided to do it again just now from the computer, since some of the questions involved hand positions and I figured that might be different whether or not I was holding the phone.

It did make a difference, sorta...

44/56 vs 57/43

So, I think it's safe to say I use both sides of my brain pretty equally.

This is even more interesting to me when I put it in context of what I learned at my organization's staff retreat a few weeks back. We had to do an exercise where we placed ourselves on a grid, based on how formal vs informal, dominant vs easy going we saw ourselves. Later, our colleagues, not knowing where we put ourselves, had to mark where they saw us.

Formal 
l
l
l
                                           X
Dominant   ---------------------------------l---------------------------------Easy Going
                              X
l
l
l
l
l
l
Informal 

I struggled to make a choice, but in the end I put myself where the blue box is. When I looked to see how my colleagues rated me it was where the red box is. 

Again, in both cases, pretty close to the middle, and both pretty logical in my opinion. Later in the activity we were given labels for each of the boxes: upper left - controlling, upper right - analyzing, lower left - promoting, lower right - supporting. 

I think both how I see myself and how my colleagues see me are both true to form. And I think the fact that I'm using both sides of my brain fairly equally is also pretty true to who I am. 

Interesting stuff, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment