Friday, November 8, 2013

Six Months and Still Walking

Last week I hit the six month mark of tracking my steps. 
Every day for the past six months I've had this pedometer on my hip. 

Can you believe it? 

I can't. 

I'm most likely upgrading to one of the Fitbit bracelets soon, but for now, the trusty pedometer and I are sticking together. 

So since I'm a complete and total dork with a tracking spreadsheet I can tell you that between May 2 and November 2 I walked 2,105,611 steps. Which, for me, is about 731 miles. 

Which means I could have walked to....any place within that green circle! Well, except those places in the Atlantic, but, you get what I mean. 



I'm pretty proud of myself for sticking with it. And for getting to point where my average is actually greater than 10k steps a day, which is what is recommended for being a healthy person. My overall average at the moment is 11,141 steps a day, but that's spiked a bit because of the current walking challenge. But, if I go back and look, over the 27 weeks I've hit or exceeded the 70k target 70% of the time. My current walking challenge has me averaging over 100k steps a week, but my goal once it's over just to maintain that 70k a week target. 

Scientific evidence seems to say it takes anywhere from 18 to 254 days for behavior change to really take hold as a habit. Side note - way to give yourself some wiggle room there scientists. 

So, I have about 68 days to go until I can be sure these changes are going to stick. But I'm feeling pretty confident that these past six months haven't been a fluke and that being more active really is my new normal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment