Wednesday, November 13, 2013

So. Very. Funny.

While I was in Chicago, in between admiring tall buildings, I took some time to admire some very very funny people.

I went on the Second City Walking Tour and saw a show on their E.T.C. stage.

Both were so worth my money!

The walking tour was a mix of Second City history and Chicago history and was given by a performer who is working his way up the Second City ladder, so there was certainly some comedy thrown in.
I did it on my first afternoon in the city and it was a great introduction for me.

I got tickets to see a show for the Saturday night I was in town and, I'll be honest, I was a bit wary going into it. I was wishing it was going to be more true improv and less sketch comedy. I think the fact that Saturday Night Live just isn't very funny anymore has ruined the idea of sketch comedy for me a little bit.

But, I'm SO glad I ignored those concerns and went to the show anyway.

I really don't think I've ever laughed so hard. The sketches were filled with pop culture references, goofy actions and just so much fun. There were a few improv/audience participation sketches thrown in, and they were great, but the sketches were even better. Especially when they would weave an element from one into another, connecting the otherwise completely disconnected stories throughout the evening.

If you have get the chance to see Second City I strongly encourage you to go! I'm already looking forward to a return trip to Chicago so I can see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment